Train in Tradition to the Future - Athma Kalaripayattu TTC
Dive into the ancient world of Kalaripayattu with our in-depth Teacher Training Course. This program is your gateway to mastering the revered techniques, philosophies and physical disciplines of one of the oldest martial arts. But it’s more than just personal achievement; you’re preparing to be a torchbearer of this esteemed tradition, ready to instruct and inspire the future warriors.
Our Kalaripayattu Teacher Training is an intensive journey, designed to provide participants with profound knowledge of the art form, including the essential Thari commands and techniques. Emulating the traditional Gurukulam system, this 7-month residential course creates a unique environment of shared living between students and the guru, fostering deep learning and connection to the practice. The curriculum predominantly focuses on the Northern (Vadakkan) style of Kalaripayattu.
As part of the training, you’ll gain hands-on teaching experience, an integral aspect of the course that hones your abilities to guide and teach with confidence. This journey isn’t just about learning; it’s about becoming a conduit for this ancient knowledge, ready to pass it on with dedication and expertise.
TTC Programs - Fees + Curriculum
Kalari TTC7 Months
Kalari Warm-Up + Vandanam-2 + Vadivu
Kaalukal - 12
Chuvadu - 3 + Chumattadi - 3
Meypayattu - 4 + Kaikuthipayattu
Angachuvadu - 1
Vettum Thancham - 2
Neduvadi-4 + Cheruvadi-2
Sword Swinging + Sword & Shield
Kalari Advanced TTC5 Months
Kalari TTC +
Kizhi (Theory & Practical)
Medicinal Bandaging (Theory & Practical)
Chavuti Uzichil (Theory & Practical)
- Each of the terms mentioned above originates from traditional Kalari practices. For a detailed explanation of each term, please refer to our blogs section.
In Kalari TTC-7 months, students can also opt to get Kalari Uzichil at additional cost for a period of 14 days. Uzichil is a part of Kalari Chikitsa which adds flexibility while practicing and provides relief from pain, tension and stiffness of the body.
Our program guides you through the dynamic sequences of Kaalukal, which improves your strength and stamina. You’ll learn the intricate Chuvadugal, Meipayattu and Vadivukal for developing physical control and enhancing agility. Also, train in Kolthari and Angathari to learn to wield weapons with precision.
To further your understanding of the healing aspect of Kalaripayattu, we provide training in Kalari Chikitsa. You’ll gain expertise in Kalari Leg Massage, promoting healing and vitality and learn Kizhi to treat inflammation using herbs and medicinal bandage.
Part of your journey with us involves Karma Yoga, where you will engage in Ashram Volunteering Activities, fostering a spirit of selfless service. You’ll also have the opportunity to participate in teaching local classes, sharing the wisdom of Kalaripayattu with the community.
The program includes a significant focus on meditation, helping you harness the power of Pranayama, the control of breath to balance energy and Kumbaka, the practise to hold the breath.
Why Kalari TTC at Athmakalari?
Learn In Depth
This program takes you beyond the mere physical aspect of martial arts, exploring the spiritual insight, and mental discipline that constitute the core of Kalaripayattu. The program aims to help you understand the integral connection between mind, body and spirit, as envisioned by this ancient martial art.
Our program is taught by expert practitioners who are deeply passionate about preserving and propagating the art, imbibing their teaching with their extensive knowledge and personal experiences. This gives you an authentic and comprehensive understanding of Kalaripayattu.
Teach With Confidence
Our Kalaripayattu TTC program equips you with the skills to confidently impart the wisdom of this ancient art form to others. Through rigorous practical training and comprehensive theoretical learning, you will become adept at the various techniques, forms and teachings of Kalaripayattu.
Few words from our passed out Teacher
- Our accommodation is simple and functional. Separate dormitories are available for men and women. Single accommodation facilities are provided based on availability at an additional cost.
- Shared bathroom facilities are provided with cold water.
- Our meals are served thrice a day. The cuisine is a nutritious vegetarian diet that emphasizes seasonal and locally-sourced ingredients whenever possible.
- Trainees will have access to Wi-Fi.
- Day trips to places of interest are arranged occasionally.
Rules & Guidelines
- Applicants must be 18 years of age or above.
- Students are expected to complete all payments within the first week of the course.
- Students are required to follow Ashram’s daily schedule.
- 95% attendance is mandatory to issue TTC certificate.
- Use of tobacco, alcohol, non-prescription drugs and non-vegetarian food are NOT allowed while staying at the ashram.